Whether you're looking for Political or Religious discussion or just fun friendly banter with fellow PUL members, or are you here for the Radio and Chat?

Register your PULSE account today!

Referendum possibly getting called

Discussion in 'General News & Politics' started by gboigloyalist, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Loyal-Prod51

Loyal-Prod51 Well-Known Member Orange Order

Important point and I totally agree with you. Scottish Orangeism by that I band Loyal Orders and Bands probably needs new focus or at least likely will do in future. With the threat of Nationalism not going away then the new focus could be on campaigns to promote and celebrate Britishness while also being involved in pro-Union campaigns.

The result could see increased Loyal Order and Band membership possibly from other Unionists who have no Orange connections whatsoever.

andym and braveschomberg like this.
  2. scootergt

scootergt Well-Known Member Donator

On attending the parade in 2014 it finally convinced me that there was going to be a vote to remain in the UK. Travelling through on a packed train from Falkirk, getting into Edinburgh and seeing masses of people getting of trains from all over Scotland (and the rest of the UK to be fair). Seeing the huge crowds in Edinburgh. Watching a parade, that unlike most Orange parades, had a real carnival atmosphere. Not a hint of trouble, not a blue bag in site, just people enjoying themselves and showing their support for the Union. Prior to it all I was not convinced it was a good idea but was glad to be proved wrong. Would it be right to do the same this time round if they do get another referendum. Probably not. It was right at the time, it galvanised a lot of people but it should be seen as a one-off.
    I would agree that this time round both the orders and bands should get their members out on the streets. Campaign, deliver leaflets, put up posters. Whatever it takes. There are thousands who could be out their doing their bit, getting the message across. Look at the numbers that were in Edinburgh. Even half of that number out campaigning would make a difference.
    Hopefully it doesn't come down to the fact we will even have another referendum but we sure as hell should be planning for it!

norman, Boynefive and governor walker like this.
  3. Livi True Blues

Livi True Blues Well-Known Member

The parade was a huge success in my opinion and actually started to give me the belief that we could win the vote as I was up to high dough with it and worried sick.
    After the parade in Sportsters Bar at Wavereley Station there was groups singing here lies a soldier and why don't you go home.....etc. a journalist arrived outside the pub but thankfully it had quietened down by then as all it would have took was 1 video and 1 remark on it and they'd have tried to make a mountain out of it. But even the press all reported it as a success if I remember correctly except a few fly digs.
    Certainly a huge spectacle and no one else took the bull by the horns.
    But I do think if we have to go down that route again then it would be better if a huge march was arranged by Scotland in Union or a similar organisation.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

braveschomberg likes this.
  4. John221

John221 Well-Known Member Orange Order

I fear this time an referendum will be played out on more sectarian lines and the last thing we would need to do is have a parade, as someone else suggested perhaps one of the Unionist side like Scotland in Union or better together should organise such an event inviting everyone who has a vested interest.

Alfie likes this.
  5. Alfie

Alfie Super Mod Staff Member Super Mod DJ

I think we also have to be ready for the Loyal Orders not being invited but when or if that happens we turn up in numbers anyway minus the regalia.